[FPSPACE] Popovkin: Russia to resume lunar exploration in 2015

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Tue Jan 15 21:24:32 EST 2013

Reuters via Yahoo

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-plans-send-probe-moon-2015-194841899.html

Even though Popovkin says this will happen, I will wait to see actual
hardware delivered to the launch pad, and see that it actually gets
launched, and witness that it actually leaves Earth orbit and actually
arrives in lunar space..

<http://news.yahoo.com/russia-plans-send-probe-moon-2015-194841899.html#prev
#prev> prev
<http://news.yahoo.com/russia-plans-send-probe-moon-2015-194841899.html#next
#next> next

Russia plans to send probe to moon in 2015

Reuters - 6 hrs ago

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia will resume a long-dormant quest to explore the
moon by sending an unmanned probe there in 2015, the head of the space
agency was quoted as saying on Tuesday.

The craft, called Luna-Glob, or Moon-Globe, will be carried by the first
rocket to blast off from a new facility that Russia is building in its far
eastern Amur region, Roskosmos director Vladimir Popovkin said, according to
the Interfax news agency.

"We will begin our exploration of the moon from there," he said of the new
space centre that will decrease Russia's reliance of the Baikonur Cosmodrome
in the ex-Soviet nation Kazakhstan, which it leases.

Russian space officials have said Luna-Glob would consist of an orbital
module and a probe that would land on the moon and beam back information
about samples it takes from the surface.

The Soviet Union got a jump on the United States in the Cold War space race,
sending a probe to the moon in 1959 and putting the first person into space
in 1961. But the United States first put a man on the moon in 1969 and
Russia has not done so.

The last successful Soviet launch of a unmanned probe to the moon was in the
1970s, and Russia has suffered setbacks in its space program in recent
years, including bungled satellite launches and the failure of a Mars probe
in 2011.

A successful rocket launch on Tuesday put three military satellites in
orbit, the Defense Ministry said.

Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev approved a plan last month to spend 2.1
trillion roubles ($70 billion) on space industry development in 2013-2020,
to pursue projects to explore the moon and Mars, among other things.