[FPSPACE] Official White House refusal response to the "Death Star" Construction Petition

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Sat Jan 12 10:06:35 EST 2013

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/isnt-petition-response-youre-looki
ng

It's somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  Read on.

Official White House Response to Secure resources and funding, and begin
construction of a Death Star by 2016.

This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For

By Paul Shawcross

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national
defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

*                       The construction of the Death Star has been
estimated <http://www4.lehigh.edu/business/about/deathstar.aspx>  to cost
more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the
deficit, not expand it.

*                       The Administration does not support blowing up
planets.

*                       Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a
Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man
starship?

However, look carefully (here's how <http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/> ) and
you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's
a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized
International <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/index.html>
Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans
can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six
astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now,
conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long
periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing
onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one
wielding a laser <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html>  --
roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American
companies, through NASA's Commercial Crew
<http://www.nasa.gov/offices/c3po/home/index.html>  and Cargo Program Office
(C3PO), are ferrying cargo -- and soon, crew -- to space for NASA, and are
pursuing human <http://goldenspikecompany.com/>  missions to the Moon this
decade.

Even though the United States doesn't have anything that can do the Kessel
Run in less than 12 parsecs, we've got two spacecraft leaving the Solar
System <http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/>  and we're building a probe that will
<http://solarprobe.jhuapl.edu/>  fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We
are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems
<http://kepler.nasa.gov/>  and building a much more powerful
<http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/about.html>  successor to the Hubble Space
Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.

We don't have a Death Star, but we do have floating
<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/spheres.html>  robot
assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a
light saber <http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/3994322108/>  and
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/02/07/president-obama-launches-marshmal
low-cannon>  (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke's arm
<http://www.dekaresearch.com/deka_arm.shtml> , floating droids
<http://www.darpa.mil/NewsEvents/Releases/2012/12/06.aspx> , and quadruped
walkers <http://www.darpa.mil/newsevents/releases/2012/09/10.aspx> .

We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by
pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related
field. The President has held the
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2010/10/27/first-ever-whit
e-house-science-fair>  first-ever White House science
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2012/02/09/2012-white-hous
e-science-fair>  fairs and Astronomy
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Always-Reach-for-the-Stars-Astronomy-Night-a
t-the-White-House>  Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains
are critical to our country's future, and to ensuring the United States
continues leading the world in doing big things.

If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or
math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star's
power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant
next to the power of the Force.

Paul Shawcross is Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House
Office of Management and Budget