[FPSPACE] Fwd: Columbus Knew Where He Was Going, Claims Soviet Historian [Beachcombing's Bizarre History Blog]

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Tue Jan 1 11:15:26 EST 2013

David is correct. Remain sceptical until the archaeologists unearth
physical artefacts. Then we can all celebrate alongside the National
Geographic Society. In the meanwhile, good luck & bon voyage to all
space explorers!

Keith

>>> David Portree  12/31/12 6:57 PM >>>
<!--.hmmessage P{margin:0px;padding:0px}body.hmmessage{font-size:
10pt;font-family:Tahoma}-->Peter:

Thanks for pointing that out.

By way of linking this to spaceflight, we already have plenty of myths
of space travel. Nazi bases on the far side of the moon, the Face on
Mars, Apollo 18, faked moon landings, etc., etc.

Menzies' stuff reminds me an awful lot of Eric von Daniken. It has been
similarly demolished by serious scholars, though it still has a fan
following. I see it as alternate history.

There is no evidence that anyone serious would point to that the Chinese
visited the Americas. Never mind Minoans in the Great Lakes, which is
just silly.

There are many explanations for maps that appear to show more than they
should for their time. These include assigning incorrect dates to maps,
interpreting mythical lands medieval cartographers routinely inserted
into their maps as real places, and promulgation on maps of the ancient
view that the Old World continents should be "balanced" by other
continents as yet undiscovered. There is also ample evidence of early
fabrications: for example, Amerigo Vespucci, who wrote of journeying to
America and for whom North America and South America are named, never
actually traveled to the New World.

Incidentally, I'm not one who believes that the Norse explored deep into
the interior of North America or even very far south along the east
coast. I'll change my mind when we locate physical evidence.

David S. F. Portree

dsfportree at hotmail.com
dportree at usgs.gov

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/beyondapollo/