[FPSPACE] Fwd: Columbus Knew Where He Was Going, Claims Soviet Historian [Beachcombing's Bizarre History Blog]

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 11:56:55 EST 2012

Peter:
Thanks for pointing that out.
By way of linking this to spaceflight, we already have plenty of myths of space travel. Nazi bases on the far side of the moon, the Face on Mars, Apollo 18, faked moon landings, etc., etc.

Menzies' stuff reminds me an awful lot of Eric von Daniken. It has been similarly demolished by serious scholars, though it still has a fan following. I see it as alternate history.
There is no evidence that anyone serious would point to that the Chinese visited the Americas. Never mind Minoans in the Great Lakes, which is just silly.
There are many explanations for maps that appear to show more than they should for their time. These include assigning incorrect dates to maps, interpreting mythical lands medieval cartographers routinely inserted into their maps as real places, and promulgation on maps of the ancient view that the Old World continents should be "balanced" by other continents as yet undiscovered. There is also ample evidence of early fabrications: for example, Amerigo Vespucci, who wrote of journeying to America and for whom North America and South America are named, never actually traveled to the New World.
Incidentally, I'm not one who believes that the Norse explored deep into the interior of North America or even very far south along the east coast. I'll change my mind when we locate physical evidence.
David S. F. Portree

dsfportree at hotmail.com
dportree at usgs.gov

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/beyondapollo/