[FPSPACE] Golder Spike - affordable manned flights to the Moon

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 10:24:04 EST 2012

I wonder about the real purpose of all these "private" schemes. I also wonder what motivates NASA to subsidize some of them.
My concern is that these schemes, if taken at face value, undermine the credibility of real space projects. By "real," I don't necessarily mean "public sector." I mean projects that have some chance of success. And, by "chance of success," I mean over a period of time, doing useful things. A partially successful mission here and there hardly counts; neither do wild claims about Mars bases and ultra-cheap moon landings. I fear that, as these shoe-string projects go down in flames (sometimes literally), it's going to harm NASA through association.

David S. F. Portree

dsfportree at hotmail.com
dportree at usgs.gov

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/beyondapollo/