[FPSPACE] BBC Horizon "Guide to the Space Shuttle"...could the Columbia have been saved?

Zeger Nuyens dokter.nuyens at telenet.be
Wed Apr 25 16:25:16 EDT 2012

While pondering possible "saving scenario's" might be intellectually
gratifying,the naked fact is that at that time nobody knew Columbia was
mortally wounded. I can agree some people should have known something
was seriously wrong but they didn't. We only knew something was wrong
when Columbia came streaking back over the California sky. By then,it
was too late.
BTW what would have happened if Challenger had its O-ring burn through
not at the ET side but at the outside of the SRB? My guess is that it
would have reached orbit safely and when recovering the boosters
somebody would have said "Boy,were we lucky this time" That's what
accidents are all about. They shouldn't happen but they do.

Zeger Nuyens