[FPSPACE] What's in a name ?????

Michael K. Heney mike at heney.net
Sun Apr 22 10:57:24 EDT 2012

I hate to jump in - but ...

First off, in Phillip's defense, I am a HUGE fan of tilting at windmills.
It's good for the soul, even if the chances of prevailing are on par with
a manned moon landing in 2015.

Rui mentions being correct for the sake of the "people outside the space
community" (noting that we insiders can figure things out...)  The thing
is, people outside the community don't know - or care - about such things,
just as they don't care what the tail number of the aircraft they're
flying on is.  Heck, many couldn't tell you if they flew on a Boeing or an
Airbus - their interest in spacecraft designations is generally less.

I'm sympathetic to the concept of multiple names for a given flight.
I saw Atlantis (OV-104) launch on flight STS-135 flying the ULF-7 mission
on the ISS manifest.  Similarly, folks will say they watched the Terra
launch, which was an Atlas-IIAS on vehicle AC-141.  Progress-M 15M is a
vehicle, Progress 47P is a mission designation.  I can live with that,
because it's not *my* windmill to tilt at.  (I have several of my own,
thank you.)

Finally - I think the reaction to this thread is because we hear this
argument.  Every.  Single.  Progress.  And.  Soyuz.  Flight.  We know.
We sympathize.  (although a bit less on each repeat.)   But as there's
nothing this community can really DO about the matter, the drumbeat gets a
touch tiresome.

Strictly my own opinion - worth what you paid for it.

- Mike Heney