[FPSPACE] Progress M-15M

Phillip Clark phillipclark at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 22 02:30:11 EDT 2012

The situation is extremely simple.

The Progress and Soyuz spacecraft are RUSSIAN spacecraft and therefore the
correct names are those assigned by the Russians.

Anything that NASA and other idiots might want to call the spacecraft is
totally irrelevant - no-one else has the right the name Russian spacecraft.

It is OK using designators 47P for the 47th Progress to be launched to ISS
but this designator is simply an internal NASA one because they cannot seem
to handle the actual spacecraft names (although they had no difficulty in
correctly naming shuttle missions or the current ATV and HTV freighters).
Sadly the thick members of the media picked up the internal NASA designators
and since they knew nothing about the history of Russian spacecraft names a
mission like 1P suddenly became "Progress 1" - which of course was actually
launched to Salyut 6 in early 1978, not to ISS.

Anyone who uses the "P" and "S" designators for Progress and Soyuz
spacecraft instead of the correct Russian names - which are easily
available, of course - automatically has zero credibility with me, whether
it's someone in the NASA media room or some minor journalist.

Phillip Clark