[FPSPACE] Gagarin 50th anniversary = 100 years+ in space

Tiros SpaceInformation tirosspace at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:09:31 EDT 2011

For my latest issue of the Tirso Space Information News Bulletin I did some interesting calculations relating to the 50th anniversary of the Gagarin flight.
Here goes:

It is unbelievable that Gagarin’s flight took place 50 years ago. Clearly an indication that I am
getting older, be it not in spirit but only in chronological sense.
But it is this chronological sense that reveals us some interesting data on what happened in
those 50 years since Gagarin’s launch on 12 April 1961 at 6.07 UTC.
His flight lasted only 1 hour, 48 minutes. But since then many men and women have flown in
space and have clocked up an amazing amount of time of 103 years, 49 days, 2 hours, 33
minutes in space. At a first glance this looks like a gigantic miscalculation from my part – more
than a century – but if you consider that currently routinely six humans are in space, it should
not come as such a big surprise. (By the way, the calculation is at the end of March 2011 and
does not include whatever the crew of Soyuz TMA-21 will clock up).
According to my calculations, it seems that the 100 years event was clocked up on 13
September 2010 at about 7.40 UTC in the morning, with the Soyuz TMA-18 crew of three on
the International Space Station.

If you are interested in re3ceing the News Bulletin on a monthly basis, just forward your e-mail address to tirosspace at hotmail.com. It's free to individuals.

Jos Heyman