[FPSPACE] Excalibur - which Almaz?

davidlrickman at aol.com davidlrickman at aol.com
Sat Mar 26 15:17:01 EDT 2011

FINALLY!

No, the Almaz pictured is NOT OPS-4. I have been holding onto photos of this station for a few years. They were sent to me by Art Dula, and I promised not to share them.

This Almaz has been in the "bowels" of NPOMash. A glimpse of it can be seen in a photo from the NPOMash 60th anniversary book. What is not visible in this photo is the two "nozzles?" that are up front with those four spherical tanks, one points to starboard and the other port. I don't know the index number of this station, but the back is identical to the Almaz satellite configuration. I have three photos of the interior, but all taken from the same general area (looking in from the KSI capsule opening). It is complete with wiring harnesses and thermal plumbing, but the major electronics are missing.

It appears OPS-4 has survived the purchase.

Best,

David L. Rickman