[FPSPACE] Rocket fence

David R. Woods drwoods at stny.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 20:09:41 EST 2011

Folks,

The facility that Anatoly is referring to is the RKK Energia "Center for
Technology Development and Personnel Training of the Experimental
Machine-Building Plant".  It is completely separate from the Energia
Museum that we are all familiar with:
http://www.npointercos.jp/Energiamuseum.html that is also located within
the facility.  You can tell the two apart by looking at the views in
each facility: this place is in a high bay building while the museum is
in a simple two story building.

I wrote about it back in August.  Here is a summary of some information
about it:

RKK Energia has released a few tantalizing views of this place such as:
http://www.energia.ru/en/news/news-2010/news_01-27.html
and the top two rows of pictures at:
http://www.energia.ru/ru/news/news-2010/news_07-19.html
where you can see a number of views of artifacts within the facility.

There have been a number of videos recently featuring it as well such as:
http://rutube.ru/tracks/1360740.html?v=50dc2d87eabc340e7e199f4e2aca64fd&autoStart=true&bmstart=50
http://www.vesti.ru/only_video.html?vid=288996
http://tvroscosmos.ru/frm/kosmostv/vesti/2010/vesti190710.php  and
http://tvroscosmos.ru/frm/vestidata/2010/vesti16_01_10_2.php .
It is interesting that the American members of the ASTP mission were
shown only the museum area and not this high bay facility.

A number of years ago, a single picture at
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/gal114/SpaceRace/sec300img/363l1p1.jpg was
released showing an LK lander in the foreground and a much larger lander
in the background in this facility.  Unfortunately, that image was
printed backwards: the LK hatch is on the left and not the right as
shown there.  More recent pictures show another LK that Anatoly saw at
http://www.energia.ru/ru/news/news-2010/im/photo_01-27-19.jpg  but it is
a different and older version: the hatch opens outward and there is
another access hatch at the back.  This version is painted white and
resembles the LK at KKKMT.  You can see close up pictures of this LK at:
http://s44.radikal.ru/i105/1005/b0/3c6bf9e87bda.jpg
http://s04.radikal.ru/i177/1005/b3/883bd3ded0e6.jpg
http://i038.radikal.ru/1005/8f/8991f64cb20c.jpg  and
http://s56.radikal.ru/i154/1005/6d/ca63c8203119.jpg.

It is reassuring that some westerners are now being granted access to
the facility.  So there is hope for the rest of us.

Dave