[FPSPACE] US Moon rock gift to South Africa safe

Robert Pearlman robert at collectspace.com
Fri Feb 25 09:39:15 EST 2011

Keith,

Thank you for verifying the location of South Africa's Apollo 11 lunar sample display. Your description of the display matches the other known Apollo 11 gifts, which all included four small samples of lunar material (not really rock, but rather dust and particulate) embedded in an acrylic button. You can see other examples here:

Where Today are the Apollo 11 Lunar Sample Displays?
http://www.collectspace.com/resources/moonrocks_apollo11.html

I will update the location of South Africa's gift (noted at the above site) based on the information you have provided.

South Africa also received a one-gram piece of the "Goodwill" moon rock, which at last report was at the Transvaal Museum in Pretoria.

Where Today are the Apollo 17 Goodwill Moon Rocks?
http://www.collectspace.com/resources/moonrocks_goodwill.html

There is a third report, unconfirmed, of another Apollo 11 sample display in Pretoria dating to 2009. That however, now seems to be in question given your confirmation of the Parliament display.

- Robert

--
Robert Pearlman, Editor
collectSPACE - The Source for Space History & Artifacts