[FPSPACE] Preservation/location of early Vostok landing modules

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Wed Feb 9 15:06:58 EST 2011

Which Auction House JimO?

Is this Sotheby's?

  _____

From: fpspace-bounces at friends-partners.org
[mailto:fpspace-bounces at friends-partners.org] On Behalf Of James E Oberg
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:55 PM
To: fpspace at friends-partners.org
Subject: [FPSPACE] Preservation/location of early Vostok landing modules

A New York auction house has asked me for free advice, so all

I can reward with is a relayed 'thank you'. Can anyone help?

--Jim O

We wanted to know how many of the Vostok prototypes dropped from high
altitude or returned from orbit still exist, and whether you have a census
of them. Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

1959 - 5 Vostok-type balls dropped from high altitude. Did any survive and
were they preserved?

15 May 1960 - Vostok 1KP. No heat shield, so burned up upon re-entry.

VOSTOK 1K

28 July 1960 - Exploded.

19 August 1960.-  Returned with Belka and Strelka. Was the capsule
preserved?

1 Dec. 1960 - Burned up during re-entry.

22 Dec 1960. Returned. Capsule preserved?

VOSTOK 3KA

No. 1 - 9 March 1961. Returned. Capsule preserved?

No. 2 - 23 March 1961. Returned with Ivan Ivanovich and dog (now property of
Kaller Galleries).

No. 3 - 12 April 1961. Returned with Gagarin. Capsule preserved at Energiya
in Korolyov.