[FPSPACE] questions re the Mars-500 mission

James E Oberg jameseoberg at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 14:03:15 EST 2011

Simulated Mars landing in Moscow now set for February 12,
first EVA on Feb 14. Anybody know the actual clock times for these
events? Any live video streams?

Gallery of EVA training:
http://mars500.imbp.ru/gallery/520_spacesuit_zvezda.html
http://mars500.imbp.ru/gallery/520_spacesuit_surface.html

I got to visit the simulator while it was being built:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/robotic-exploration/russians-prepare-to-go-to-mars-without-leaving-the-ground

The scripted mission involves use of a low thrusting engine
to spiral out from earth, transition, then spiral down to low
Mars orbit, and then reverse. Some artwork suggests the
engine is solar powered, but I'd like to know more about
the scenario -- solar power or nuclear?

The ESA page states that maximum comm delay can be
up to 12 minutes. My question -- is that point-to-point
delay, or round trip delay? Here's an essay of mine about how we
simulated that delay: http://www.jamesoberg.com/2004marsconquest.html

Here's a draft book chapter on why the transit legs will NOT
be boring: http://www.jamesoberg.com/2004marsconquest2.html

...and my story on the trouble in 2000 on the last long-duration sim:
http://www.jamesoberg.com/04142000assualt_rus.html