[FPSPACE] happy 53rd anniversary to Sputnik! & a WW2 factino

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Tue Oct 5 10:25:58 EDT 2010

       As one of the kiddies of the Space Age, a happy 53rd anniversary to all those surviving Soviet engineers, technicians, electricians & metal-workers, who helped launch Sputnik. Good health in their retirement.  Spasibo!

    Let me also place in the public domain for historians one WW2 V-2 factino. During my stay in the USA as a Fulbright Scholar in greater Detroit, my landlord was a 82 year old retired Professor of German from Wayne State University, Achim Bonawitz. During late 1944 his whole grade 11 class was conscripted to dig anti-tank ditches in Luxembourg, Belgium, & France against the advancing US Army.

    During one day they heard a huge roar behind them. Turning around, they witnessed a then totally secret V-2 taking off.  I wonder if he is the last living witness of a WW2 lift-off of a V-2?  There could of course still be living Americans who saw V-2 take-offs up to 1950 at White Sands & Cape Canaveral.

Keith.