[FPSPACE] FPSPACE Digest, Vol 77, Issue 17

William Keel wkeel at bama.ua.edu
Sat Jul 17 15:50:55 EDT 2010

On Jul 17, 2010, at 11:00 AM, fpspace-request at friends-partners.org
wrote:

> [...]

Correct - as well as UV astronomy from Gemini 11, Salyut 1 (film was
rescued from the ill-fated Soyuz 11 descent capsule) and Soyuz 13,
plus satellites. What ASTP carried that was new was an extreme-
ultraviolet experiment from Stu Bowyer at Berkeley, a first probe at a
spectral region that would prove useful only if the interstellar
medium was patchier than most people thought (which indeed it was, so
that line of work led over a decade later to EUVE). The EUV spans from
wherever you think soft X-rays end to the Lyman limit at 912
Angstroms, where interstellar hydrogen absorption blocks radiation
very effectively. Bowyer recalls that he thought the science program
started as mostly cosmetic, but the EUV experiment had been under
development all the way back to the OSO series and was practically
flight-ready. They had four papers (and he claims the only other ASTP
science paper was on uric acid in the spacecraft environment, but I
can't vouch for that independently). From Bowyer's account a few years
ago, they had to complete the observations before docking, and could
monitor everything via telemetry but were pretty much encouraged not
to ask for crew contacts (though the crew had to turn it on and off).
Once they had information indicating misorientation of the spacecraft,
mentioned this to flight control, heard some muffled curses and then
noticed the spacecraft rolling.

Bill Keel
William C. Keel                                        205-348-1641
(office)
Professor, Physics and Astronomy      205-348-5051 (fax)
Box 870324                                              205-348-5050
(dept.)
University of Alabama                             http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0324, U.S.A.    wkeel at bama.ua.edu