[FPSPACE] Apollo Soyuz Test Project anniversary

Robert Pearlman robert at collectspace.com
Fri Jul 16 15:57:13 EDT 2010

Dave,

I interviewed the surviving four ASTP crew members on Thursday when they were together in New York. Though it didn't make it into my article (see link below), Vance Brand recounted the story you recalled:

Brand: "Another thing though I’ll recall, that wasn’t really a highlight but after we undocked and the cosmonauts were going down to land, they got a few hundred miles ahead of us in orbit in a lower orbit and I had taken onboard a tape that I had taped at home before the mission. It was my daughter and a couple of friends in a shower, you could hear the water running and they were giggling and screaming and everything and having fun. I recorded that and we played it to the cosmonauts when they were several hundred miles away from us and I remember saying, ‘We’re having a ball over here, what are you guys doing?’."

Stafford: "That was so great, I remember for a moment Alexei said, ‘Tom, what are you doing there?’"

Brand: "Now, I don’t know how well they heard that back then, I hope they weren’t over the horizon."

Stafford: "Oh, they heard it." (laughs)

Here's the article based on my interview...

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project crew reunites for 35th anniversary
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-071610a.html

--
Robert Pearlman, Editor
collectSPACE - The Source for Space History & Artifacts