[FPSPACE] Extending the Shuttle

David Portree dsfportree at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 08:32:32 EDT 2009

Morris:

Logistics and crew transfer needs would be more than enough for a couple of Shuttle flights a year. I think that the arbitrary 2010 cutoff was shortsighted, so I'm really glad that this is being considered seriously.

Incidentally, I'm not a big Shuttle fan - haven't been since the early 1980s - but I'd rather fly it a couple of times a year than depend on everyone else in the world or sit on the ground. Shuttle didn't become horrifyingly unsafe until the policy became to replace it. Up to that time, it was a wonderful flying machine and you could be tarred and feathered at JSC for suggesting that it had shortcomings. Then NASA did this breathtaking 180 and Shuttle became something to be discarded ASAP. Maybe that made political sense, but one would think that we'd have learned in the early 1970s that tossing what you have on the mere promise of something new isn't so smart.

David S. F. Portree

dsfportree at hotmail.com
dportree at usgs.gov

http://robotexplorers.blogspot.com/