[FPSPACE] John Noble Wilford remembers Apollo 11

Jens Kieffer-Olsen dstdba at post4.tele.dk
Tue Jul 14 18:26:34 EDT 2009

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Tue Jul 14 15:21:43 EDT 2009

> If anyone was old enough to remember, can you post where you were,
> and what you thought about what took place during that July 16 to
> 24, 1969 event?
>
> I would be interested in reading fpspacers' remembrances.

 As I remember 1969 it was a busy year for young people, and our
 attention span spread wide. Furthermore, the month of July falls
 in the middle of summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

 Young American hippies swamped Western Europe with hallucinogenic
 drugs from the Middle East.

 At around midnight on the night of 2-3 July 1969, Brian Jones of
 the Rolling Stones was discovered motionless at the bottom of his
 swimming pool.

 On July 8, 1969 the very first U.S. troop withdrawal from Vietnam
 occurred as 800 men from the 9th Infantry Division were sent home.

 With only one month to go to the Woodstock Festival Jimi Hendrix was
 practicing his highly-regarded rendition of the The Star-Spangled
 Banner.

 Even to an engineering student such as myself with a focused interest
 on the exploration of space, Apollo 11 only managed to extract the
 mandatory few hours spent in front of a black-and-white college dorm
 TV in splendid loneliness in the middle of the night. A good show
 it was, even though I failed - and still fail - to understand how
 those crazy Americans found the chutzpah to take a televison camera
 along.

 Hell, don't tell me that it was all filmed at Area 51!?

--
Jens Kieffer-Olsen
Slagelse, Denmark