[FPSPACE] Here's a question

Peter Pesavento pjp961 at svol.net
Tue Jul 7 09:50:08 EDT 2009

Here's a question I thought I would pose to the fpspace readership.

Does anyone know..

In the entire history of the Soviet/Russian space effort (1958-2009), was
there ever an event, or a launching, that involved sending a mission into
deep space (that is, outside of Earth orbit) that involved sending
components that were only half/partially operational, or mock-ups of
modules?

Ever?

People may want to point out the N-1 missions, but let's put those aside.
What about any missions say, to the planets, or the moon, or to any other
target outside of Earth orbit (comets, for example)?

If you know of any, please post, and provide the information as to why you
think they answer this inquiry.

Thanks.