[FPSPACE] Habitable for microbes, Larry

E.P. Grondine epgrondine at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:53:33 EDT 2009

Hello David, Larry -

While it is true that Manned Mars flight is simply moot right now, you're overgeneralizing, David.

The impact hazard is not dependent in any way on the
"economic situation" - in other words, the shape W et al.'s economic policies have left world markets in. I'm talking here, war debts, speculative financial instruments, lack of energy policy, hollowed out manufacturing base.

And despite the efforts of many at denial, the impact hazard is not "moot", and it never will be.

It was clear from the start of Ares 1 that the US did not need another heavy medium launcher, as the US already had two, unless there was a pressing need for launch on demand solids. If that was the case,  then DoD should have been the funding center, not NASA.

Given the economic situation, it strikes me that the best way of preserving jobs (in other words that US skilled technology base) is with the Jupiter launcher. But CAPS can be done with the heavy versions of the EELVs, if funding for that technology base is not provided for from other parts of the US.

As for dealing with the impact hazard, Larry overstates the requirements of CAPS to include the manned Mars enthusiasts favorite technologies of self sustainment, etc. The usual mission creep with the usual twist.

The CAPS detectors themselves are all that are essential.

The question becomes how to build them at the lowest cost, and given the nature of the hazard and the cost that is likely to be on an international basis:

http://www.geocities.com/epgrondine

This was my analysis from over 10 years ago, though the launchers have changed now, and there are other nations active in space. As a matter of fact, if the US does not lead in dealing with this hazard, other nations will.

While I hope this clears things up for you, I doubt if it will.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas
(The other 13,000 years of North American history,
including more than a few devastating impacts)