[FPSPACE] Will China be able to afford its manned space program?

Kosmos327 at aol.com Kosmos327 at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 21:25:56 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/30/2008 1:48:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
epgrondine at hotmail.com writes:

Finally, through the heat shield hatches. While they work, and have  been
demonstrated to work,  for some reason I don't feel comfortable with  them,
although they solve the front loading/abort requirements very well. A  deeper
question is the use of folding wings, as they reduce recovery operation  costs
significantly when compared with capsules. Klipr or  capsule?

Yeah, Chelomei got that a lot. But in reality, this hatch actually works
best during maximum reentry forces. I trust this hatch more than the side  or top
hatches.

As for folding wings ... any flight mechanic of the F-111D at Cannon AFB in
New Mexico can tell you, "That's two more things that can go terribly  wrong".
However, I would love to see how Chelomei approached this problem with  his
LKS design. But, that's for another book.

Happy Holidays,

David L. Rickman

**************Finally, one site has it all: your friends, your email, your
favorite sites. Try the NEW AOL.com.