[FPSPACE] Russian TV: US tried to prevent Gagarin flight

Chris Jones clj at panix.com
Sun Nov 30 13:49:49 EST 2008

James Oberg wrote:
> Does anyone have any clues about this Russian accusation of
> *a "US attempt to prevent the first orbital space flight, *
> *by Yuriy Gagarin in April 1961" ???*

> Moscow Channel One TV,  2008 November 25 20:50 UT
[...]
> Later in the film, a US attempt to prevent the first orbital space
> flight, by Yuriy Gagarin in April 1961, was alleged.*

I wonder if this is someone misunderstanding a reference to the US
trying to launch the first man into space (possible if the extra
Mercury-Redstone test flight had not been ordered)?

Otherwise it's a pretty serious allegation.  Is there a thought that
we had someone in the Soviet Union in a position to affect launches
or spacecraft preparation?