[FPSPACE] Russian TV: US tried to prevent Gagarin flight

James Oberg jameseoberg at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 13:00:52 EST 2008

Does anyone have any clues about this Russian accusation of
a "US attempt to prevent the first orbital space flight,
by Yuriy Gagarin in April 1961" ???

Moscow Channel One TV,  2008 November 25 20:50 UT

Russian TV ("Strike Force") looks at aviation medicine
   There was a look at the history of aviation medicine in state-controlled Russian Channel One TV's "Strike Force" military documentary, part of a series of such (number 52, according to the program's website), on Nov 25, 2008. Its title translated, roughly, as "Sky-high overloads", it was around 45 minutes long.

   In one piece of history, we see a photograph from a Red Square Parade in 1945, with Dwight Eisenhower in the company of Stalin and others on the outside platform of the Lenin Mausoleum. "Back then, we were still allies," the film remarks. In common with other films in the same series, US plans for a nuclear strike on the USSR were considered. Later in the film, a US attempt to prevent the first orbital space flight, by Yuriy Gagarin in April 1961, was alleged.