[FPSPACE] Spirit rover's power is running down, due to dust storms

Rick Kline kline at astro.cornell.edu
Thu Nov 13 12:44:32 EST 2008

Of course the obvious problem with rotating solar panels, or even moving
the ones that are on the MER spacecraft is that any moving part can stop
moving in the least desired position.  Sort of the Murphy's Law of
spacecraft operations.  This concept is the one behind the decision to
make the MER Pancam lens covers stationary - since the camera bar was
designed to tilt to allow for close and far range imaging, the built-in
motion is used to lower the Pancam aperatures onto the covers, rather
than moving the covers to the cameras, where they could jam.  Voyager
2's scan platform was in danger of sticking, so once it was placed in a
useful orientation, it was left there, and the spacecraft itself was
slewed to track targets during the Neptune encounter.

Rick Kline
Data Manager
Spacecraft Planetary Imaging Facility

--

   "Better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend."
 Rick Kline
 Data Manager, Spacecraft Planetary Imaging Facility
 317 Space Sciences Building
 Cornell University
 Ithaca, NY   14853-6801
 USA

 e-mail:                     Phone:          fax:
 kline at astro.cornell.edu  607-255-3833    607-255-9002
 web: http://astro.cornell.edu/facilities/SPIF.php