[FPSPACE] Spirit rover's power is running down, due to dust storms

agzak at optonline.net agzak at optonline.net
Wed Nov 12 11:47:34 EST 2008

Many satellites are designed to rotate their solar panels to maximize power input. The same type of device could take care of dust accumulating on solar panels. During MER missions, flight controllers did have to place the rover on the slope to maximize power. It seems that making rotating solar panels is better solution than reliance on winds in the Martian atmosphere.

Anatoly Zak
http://www.russianspaceweb.com