[FPSPACE] "Space agriculture" facility @ Wenchang

Chen Lan chenlan at singnet.com.sg
Wed Nov 5 10:41:32 EST 2008

I understand it refers to the "mutation breeding" projects by putting plant and vegetable seeds in space in hope to get improved varieties. They believe that cosmic rays do the job better than radioactive rays do on the ground. Although it is still very controversial, China has done these on FSW and Shenzhou spacecraft for many years. There are already some small scale farms in other places of China to grow the seeds returned from space. The Hainan one is just the latest on the list. Normally, the so-called space vegetables or crop reach the supermarkets after several generations in these farms. However, I think that the Hainan one will mainly be for tourists, instead of an important research base.

Chen Lan