[FPSPACE] Soyuz DM role during ballistic entry profile [was: How tightly are the Soyuz modules bolted together?]

Charles, John B. (JSC-SA2) john.b.charles at nasa.gov
Fri Apr 25 13:05:01 EDT 2008

Antonin, thanks!  This is very interesting.  I have assumed that the initial report of an "overshoot" was a mistake (did the recovery forces really believe it and depart to the east?), and that, assuming an otherwise nominal de-orbit maneuver, every planned Soyuz re-entry is in fact an overshoot: the lift vector is "up" (more or less) to make the entry trajectory as shallow as possible and keep the g-loading as light as possible.  A ballistic entry occurs when the lift vector is cancelled out by continuous rolling of the DM.  And as Antonin notes, it is a bad day when the lift vector is "down".  Does anyone know what the g-pulse looks like in that case, and also the thermal load?

Also, what is the DM roll rate in the ballistic case?  I was describing it to some colleagues who were concerned by the possibility of an excessively fast roll rate, and I realized I didn't know what the actual rate was.

John Charles
Houston, Texas