[FPSPACE] How tightly are the Soyuz modules bolted together?

Geert Sassen geert at navtools.nl
Fri Apr 25 10:12:27 EDT 2008

Good day Jim,

When the SAS system fires, the PO is left behind attached to the last
rocketstage, only the BO and DM are lifted clear (f.i. ref 'Challenge to
Apollo' page 574), the SAS is attached to the BO, so the DM is lifted up
by its connecting bolds to the BO, and when these are severed it drops
out of the shroud for emergency landing.

With regards to the Soyuz 11 tragedie it was noted that 12 explosive
bolts fire to separate the Soyuz into its three compartments (ref
'Challenge to Apollo', page 783), however this probably includes the
bolds attaching BO and DM. In 'Soyuz' from Hall/Shayler it is mentioned
that 6 explosive bolts and 6 pyrocharges are used for the separation of
BO and DM, and 6 pyrocharges for the separation of PM and DM, while 8
pyrocharges are used to separate cables from the PM to the BO,  4 for
separating the coolant lines, 11 for separating backup control lines,
and 2 are used for separating the periscope of the DM ("Soyuz", ISBN
1-85233-657-9, page 46), however this might relate to the original Soyuz
version and might have changed with the various versions.

I could not find any reference to a redesign of the BO/DM separation
after Soyuz 5, although the narative of Volynov sure sounds even worse
then the reports from the last two missions. I noted the remark that on
the latest landing the units separated at the start of re-entry 'as they
are designed to do', while the Volynov report describes a quite heavy
explosion (probably of the PO fuel tanks) which separates the
compartments, so this sounds a bit like the apparent re-design includes
a back-up system which kicks in as soon as re-entry heat or
decelleration is measured, but I can't find any info on this.

Also I have not yet found a clear description of the way the system is
switching to 'ballistic descent'. This includes (requires) a constant
roll of the DM, however in the case of Soyuz 5 it is noted that all the
DM fuel was exhausted very early in the re-entry, when the system was
trying (and failing) to stabilise the DM in its correct attitude, so if
all fuel was already exhausted, how was this constant roll achieved?
To me it sounds a bit like the whole combination is placed in a constant
roll prior or shortly after retrofire, using the PM thrusters. If
everything works correctly, this roll is stopped by the DM thrusters
where after the normal re-entry guidance kicks in, however if this
doesn't work then the DM is already rolling so in a worst case scenario
no further action is required for a ballistic re-entry (CG location will
take care that it rightens itself in the correct attitude). This
explains how Soyuz 5 could make a ballistic descent with all fuel
depleted, but it's only my guesswork, can't find any clear description
of this. I also seem to remember reading somewhere (with regards to
Soyuz stock-life, which is basically defined by the degration of H2O2
fuel of the DM thrusters) that in a worst-case scenario the DM can make
a safe (ballistic) landing without using the thrusters, which once again
seems to imply that the required roll is achieved by some other means.

Regards,

Geert.