[FPSPACE] ASTROD (Astrodynamical Space Test of Relativity using Optical Devices)

LARRY KLAES ljk4 at msn.com
Wed Oct 31 09:20:26 EST 2007

Deep-space laser-ranging missions ASTROD (Astrodynamical Space Test of
Relativity using Optical Devices) and ASTROD I for astrodynamics and
astrometry

Authors: Wei-Tou Ni

(Submitted on 30 Oct 2007)

Abstract: Deep-space laser ranging will be ideal for testing relativistic
gravity, and mapping the solar-system to an unprecedented accuracy. ASTROD
(Astrodynamical Space Test of Relativity using Optical Devices) and ASTROD I
are such missions. ASTROD I is a mission with a single spacecraft; it is the
first step of ASTROD with 3 spacecraft.

In this talk, after a brief review of ASTROD and ASTROD I, we concentrate of
the precision of solar astrodynamics that can be achieved together with
implications on astrometry and reference frame transformations. The
precision planetary ephemeris derived from these missions together with
second post-Newtonian test of relativistic gravity will serve as a
foundation for future precise astrometry observations. Relativistic
frameworks are discussed from these considerations.

Comments:  5 pages, 2 figures, 2 tables, presented to IAU Symposium No. 248,
A Giant Step: from Milli- to Micro-Arcsecond Astrometry (Shanghai, October
15-19, 2007)

Subjects:  Astrophysics (astro-ph)

Cite as:  arXiv:0710.5624v1 [astro-ph]

Submission history

From: Wei-Tou Ni [view email]

[v1] Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:14:08 GMT (283kb)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.5624