[FPSPACE] "Almaz" on Almaz?

kosmos327 at aol.com kosmos327 at aol.com
Thu Oct 11 15:10:18 EDT 2007

I'm looking for reference material on the tale about Chelomei having "Salyut 2, 3, and 5" on the interstage section?which joins?the Proton to the Almaz station. This much I've been able to verify through archived films and photos. However, the story also suggest that "Almaz" was written under this ejected section. That's not likely. The area under the interstage is thermal blankets, engines, etc.. no place for visible writings. There is an area on both sides of the Almaz station belly shrouded during launch where "Almaz" could have been painted quite boldly.

Can anyone in this forum give me information on the source of the original "Salyut/Almaz" name story or enlighten us which any info they may have on this subject?

Best Regards to All!

David L. Rickman