[FPSPACE] What happened to Sputnik 1*s payload fairing?

Geoff Richards grrichards at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Oct 10 15:43:45 EDT 2007

Only the satellite and the rocket were given catalogue numbers, so
presumably the fairing was never tracked.  The satellite was pretty faint
for optical tracking, but at least it had radio transmitters.  A similarly
faint object without transmitters was presumably beyond the capability of
the tracking systems at the time.

Geoff Richards