[FPSPACE] Detection of an intergalactic meteor particle with the 6-m telescope

LARRY KLAES ljk4 at msn.com
Tue Dec 11 11:00:16 EST 2007

Detection of an intergalactic meteor particle with the 6-m telescope

Authors: V.L. Afanasiev (1), V.V. Kalenichenko (2), I.D. Karachentsev (1)
((1) Special Astrophysical Observatory Russian Academy of Sciences (2)
Astronomical Observatory, Kyiv Taras Shevchenko University)

(Submitted on 10 Dec 2007)

Abstract: On July 28, 2006 the 6-m telescope of the Special Astrophysical
Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences recorded the spectrum of a
faint meteor. We confidently identify the lines of FeI and MgI, OI, NI and
molecular-nitrogen N_2 bands. The entry velocity of the meteor body into the
Earth’s atmosphere estimated from radial velocity is equal to 300 km/s. The
body was several tens of a millimeter in size, like chondrules in carbon
chondrites. The radiant of the meteor trajectory coincides with the sky
position of the apex of the motion of the Solar system toward the centroid
of the Local Group of galaxies. Observations of faint sporadic meteors with
FAVOR TV CCD camera confirmed the radiant at a higher than 96% confidence
level.

We conclude that this meteor particle is likely to be of extragalactic
origin. The following important questions remain open: (1) How metal-rich
dust particles came to be in the extragalactic space? (2) Why are the sizes
of extragalactic particles larger by two orders of magnitude (and their
masses greater by six orders of magnitude) than common interstellar dust
grains in our Galaxy? (3) If extragalactic dust surrounds galaxies in the
form of dust (or gas-and-dust) aureoles, can such formations now be observed
using other observational techniques (IR observations aboard Spitzer
satellite, etc.)? (4) If inhomogeneous extragalactic dust medium with the
parameters mentioned above actually exists, does it show up in the form of
irregularities on the cosmic microwave background (WMAP etc.)?

Comments: 9 pages, 6 EPS figures

Subjects: Astrophysics (astro-ph)

Journal reference: Astrophysical Bulletin, 2007, v. 62, p. 301-310

Cite as: arXiv:0712.1571v1 [astro-ph]

Submission history

From: Alexei Moiseev [view email]

[v1] Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:11:42 GMT (401kb)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.1571