[FPSPACE] Pilinger to head inquiry into Beagle 2 disappearance

Simon Mansfield simon@spacedaily.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:15:58 +1100

At 09:19 PM 1/29/2004, you wrote:
>Why not ! every single soviet mission to Mars was a failure and the
>Americans have only a 1 in 3 success rate  but thay did not give up
>because there first atempt failed.

actually if measured in the modern era - the US is now 5/6 for landing on
Mars. Which is not bad for the so called death planet.

>  The main problem with Beagle2 was lack of proper funding which was not
> Prof. Pilingers fault but the fault of this useless Labour government
> which has spent less on space than the previous Conservative
> government.  But I do agree with you that the review should be conducted
> by an outside group.

Generally when spending taxpayers funds people are asked to make sure they
don't waste it. If B2 was under funded it was a well known fact long before
manufacturing commenced, and maybe they should have been honest about the
funding issue and said we can't do this for this little amount of money.

And as to the Blair Govt being responsible for a lack of a British space
program you ignore the weight of history on the issue of Britain and Space,
and there an Iron Lady had much to do with the current form of the UK space
program or specifically the lack thereof. Blair is just following a long
establish policy to let the French compete with America and spend lots of
money coming second.

As to Pillinger investigating his own mission, this I suggest is an
indication of just how unimportant the whole space thing is within Whitehall.

Simon