[FPSPACE] Columbia remains in the news

Chris Jones clj@panix.com
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:03:45 -0500

(The subject is kind of a triple+ threat headline, suitable to be placed
atop all sorts of stories.)

As the first anniversary of Columbia's last flight passes, take a look
at http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=012419,
which says, in part:

   In a miraculous discovery, sections of personal diary of Israeli
   astronaut, Ilan Ramon aboard ill-fated Columbia space shuttle has been
   found.A few months ago, a native American tracker in Texas found
   pieces of paper which were sent to the Indian and the US National
   Aeronautics and Space Administration who didnít have any clue about
   it. Later NASA sent the pages to Ms Rona Ramon, Ilanís widow, who was
   still in Houston and she immediately identified it as her husbandís
   writing.

All I can say is WOW.  Is the universe trying to make it easy for us or
what?  (Actually, I'm on the side of "or what", but still WOW).  There's
supposed to be (at least) two sides to every story, more than one way to
look at things, et cetera, etc., &c...  Columbia flies in (but doesn't
quite), burns up (but so much reaches the earth, and there are even
(non-human) survivors), and without saying a word leaves all these
messages for us to make sense of if we're capable and willing.

The message I'm getting is an answer to the question of whether we
should explore space or spend money on earth to fix its problems.  Yes,
we should.