[FPSPACE] Re: New Republic on CEV and Bush dishonesty and innumeracy

Jens Kieffer-Olsen dstdba@post4.tele.dk
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:15:55 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: fpspace-admin@friends-partners.org On Behalf Of james oberg
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: New Republic on CEV and Bush dishonesty and innumeracy

> If NASA is to use ISS for support of beyond-LEO missions,
> when does it plan to keep a US crewmember on for two
> back-to-back duty tours? Three? I'm presuming it can't be
> until after crew size goes above 3.

 One Russian cosmonaut and one US astronaut is needed
 onboard the ISS, whether or not you launch replacement
 crews from the US. There is too much proprietary
 hardware to do away with that requirement.

 So, to the extent ESA or the Shen-Zhou lofts members to
 the permanent crew, they will be allowed only one such
 member themselves, I gather.

 Until 2010 there is no need to hammer out these details
 anyway. Rather NASA management right now needs to look
 into the art of double glazing?

--
Jens Kieffer-Olsen
Slagelse, Denmark