[FPSPACE] NASA budget chart

Mackowski, Michael Michael.Mackowski@specastro.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:00:09 -0700

This is quite an interesting chart.  I wonder if it is accurate with the latest Bush pronouncements?

In any event, it shows ISS operations thru FY15 in order to "complete Station research objectives".  This could be interpreted to refer to research on long duration life support equipment needed to sustain a lunar outpost or Mars mission.  Or something else.  But this does not abandon the station.  Note that the White House fact sheet states that ISS construction will be completed by 2010, followed by use of it for a focused research program on long term effects of space flight.  So that's where I see heavy US involvement on ISS well into 2016.  Once ISS assembly is complete in '10, the Shuttle can be retired.

Mike M.