[FPSPACE] Stolen Apollo parachute

DwayneDay DwayneDay <zirconic1@earthlink.net>
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:45:27 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Somebody told me about an Apollo parachute on eBay a few weeks ago.  I asked around and found that it had been "de-accessioned" by the Smithsonian back many years ago (1982?) and given to another museum and that the cops were investigating the guy.  So it is no surprise to me that the guy has now been charged.  Honestly, if you're going to sell stolen merchandise on eBay, you should be a little less conspicuous.  Mentioning that it used to belong to the Smithsonian is going to attract too much attention.

The eBay link, if it still exists, is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3646965375&category=13903

*********

http://www.wnbc.com/news/2743566/detail.html

Volunteer Accused Of Trying To Sell Apollo Parachute

POSTED: 9:14 AM EST January 6, 2004

RHINEBECK, N.Y. -- A longtime volunteer at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
has been charged with possession of stolen property after he tried to
sell online a parachute that had been used in an Apollo mission, State
Police said.

Christopher Rogine, 48, said he had the parachute in his home shop for
20 years, it was a gift from the late aerodrome founder Cole Palen,
and it was rightfully his to sell. He said he decided to sell it to
finance the restoration of a plane.

Rogine, of Red Hook, was arrested after an employee of the
Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum saw the parachute offered
on the Internet auction site eBay.

The parachute, one of two given to the Hudson Valley aerodrome by the
Smithsonian, was reportedly used to lower astronauts Charles Conrad,
Joseph Kerwin and Paul Weitz to Earth after a 1973 Skylab mission. It
was offered on eBay with a starting bid of $9,500.

Aerodrome director Tom Daly called the parachute a "national
treasure." He thanked police for recovering it but declined further
comment.