[FPSPACE] article on Brazil's space program..

David Anderman davida@cwo.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:12:12 -0700

Allen:

I believe that the 'data' that the SS-18 is an upgrade of the SS-9 is rather
(possibly deliberate) misinformation. The only real commonality between the
missile systems is that they are roughly the same size, and thus fit in the
same silos.

Among the differing systems:

a) completely different post-boost stages
b) different engines with different thrust and ISP levels
c) propellants (nitric acid vs N2O4 oxidizer)
d) guidance systems (the SS-18 has a 3 stage avionics package, the SS-9 can
launch in 2 stage configuration)

These missiles were constructed on entirely different assembly lines.

I believe that the difference between the missiles is similar to the Titan
I - Titan II history.

DWA