[FPSPACE] article on Brazil's space program..

Simon Mansfield simon@spacedaily.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:52:41 +1000

Isn't Brazil's space industry/program based around the big power goals of
missiles and spysats.

The large inaccessible landmass of Brazil of course dovetails nicely with
satellite applications for communications and earth observation, but these
all have dual purpose military applications.

And as a great power within the South American context being a "space
player" has plenty of national prestige associated with it as well.

Wait until China launches a man - all of these second tier big powers are
going to dusty off plenty of old project studies.

And let's never forget that under the new world order being a player in
ballistic missiles with a hint of nuclear capability means you get taken
seriously on the world stage.

simon