[FPSPACE] Hype-ing China...

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk@uwc.ac.za
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:02:36 +0200

>>The article claims the Chinese will put a lunar
>space station up by 2010

   Dwayne was spot on when he pointed out there is not the slightest  sign yet of China constructing a luanch pad or rocket of the Proton class, still less the Saturn 5 class.  Since there is scant national prestige in hiring Protons to launch Chinese Salyut-size modules, by 2010 the Chinese are unlikely to have even a Salyut-size space station.  We can guess they will of course probably be R&D-ing one by that year.

   Likewise, the growing RusFed links with China (building pipelines to sell gas & oil) are far smaller than the current EU-RusFed links via the existing Pan-European gas pipelines & I think electricity grid. The ESA-Rus space treaty - "Kuru" - as well as geographic & cultural links, indicate that RusFed is over the long run (ie two decades) going to deepen multilateral corporate & parastatal links with the EU.