[FPSPACE] 1st RUSSIAN ROCKETS 2 BLAST OFF FROM FRENCH SPACEPORT IN 2006

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk@uwc.ac.za
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:21:11 +0200

> What are the long-term strategic implications of this? Will we ever see ISS launches
>made from this pad, if it is ever really built?
>
>   A TOTAL OF 314 MILLION EURO WILL BE ALLOCATED FOR THAT PROJECT,
>FRANCE, WHICH WAS THE MOST ENTHUSIASTIC
>SUPPORTER OF THE PROJECT, WILL ASSUME THE BIGGEST FINANCIAL
>BURDEN.
>OTHER EXPENSES WILL BE SHARED AMONG GERMANY, BELGIUM, AUSTRIA,
>SPAIN, ITALY AND SWITZERLAND.
>RECENT MEETING OF THE ESA COUNCIL IN PARIS. FRANCE WILL FINANCE
>HALF OF THE PROJECT, GERMANY WILL COVER 6% AND SWITZERLAND WILL
>PAY FOR 1%-2%, HE SAID. AT THE NEXT STAGE, ESA AND THE RUSSIAN
>AVIATION AND SPACE AGENCY WILL SIGN A COOPERATION AGREEMENT
>RELATED TO LAUNCH VEHICLES AND A JOINT DESIGN OF THE NEW
>GENERATION ROCKET TECHNOLOGY. "THIS WILL HAPPEN IN THE NEAR
>FUTURE," HE SAID.

     One thought on its implications.   I would imagine that Soyuz competes more against Ariane 5 than would launching the Proton from "Kuru"
(new Anglophone phonetic spelling :)

    A 2nd thought is that it shows the Europeans are more comfortable with institutional multi-lateralism than the US, where there are still grumbles that it would have cost less to have gone it alone with ISS. Their EU experience has built up a multilateral culture.

      If the reference to "A JOINT DESIGN OF THE NEW GENERATION ROCKET TECHNOLOGY" alludes to Angara or something similar (the Aurora design originally mooted for Xmas Island & APSC?) this means that the EU & Russia might in future become partners in everything from next-generation Airbus to space rockets. This synergy will certainly make them more competitive against, e.g. the USA.

    This sort of business links also provide organic growth for future EU-RusFed treaties, alliances & associate status. It is one positive trend for spaceflight since the comsat slump & the shuttle tragedy!

Keith