[FPSPACE] The phony space race

Jeff Foust jfoust@alum.mit.edu
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:30:50 -0400

>>Useful op-ed from Jeff Foust, rubbishing the claims of (or in favour for) a
>>"space race" with China.
>>
>>http://www.thespacereview.com/article/25/1
>

> This is actually a pretty good discussion, although the real meat is in the
> second part of the article.
>
> I think that what is required, however, is more discussion of how the first
> space race was totally unique, a product of a specific set of circumstances.

I considered going into more detail about this, but I really wanted to
concentrate on deconstructing some of the claims that China was planning
imminent manned lunar missions.  I could have made the article longer,
but I didn't want to test the readers' patience!  The topic is worthy of
a standalone essay, in any case.

(At least one person disagrees with the essay's claims in detail:
http://curmudgeons.blogspot.com/2003_06_01_curmudgeons_archive.html#105519019344848625)

Jeff Foust
jfoust@alum.mit.edu
jeff@thespacereview.com