[FPSPACE] Fw: Jim Voss (was: Veteran astronaut ...

Allen Thomson thomsona@flash.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:47:03 -0500

>      James Voss, deputy for flight operations, Space Station  Program
Mission Integration and Operations Office, Johnson  Space Center (JSC),
Houston, has accepted the position of  Associate Dean for External Affairs,
Samuel Ginn College of
 Engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.

>  The first, who retired after the Columbia-tragedy. Are there others?

Dittemore, though the "after" part can be argued.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom/space/orl-asecdittemore19041903apr19,0,969391.story?coll=orl%2Dnews%2Dheadlines%2Dspace

Likely of little relevance, but a US Air Force officer I once knew had a
most evocative gesture: Place hands together on upper chest with  fists
closed as if gripping something vertically in each; throw arms wide with
fists still closed and vertical.  It was meant to represent opening a
parachute after bailing out of an airplane. The meaning was "I'm outta
here!" or even "Sauve qui peut!"

(It worked especially well when she did it, for reasons probably best left
unexplained.)