[FPSPACE] One more thing...about NYTimes article...

Peter Pesavento eagles267@wwainc.com
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 09:33:09 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32DA0.F8FC56D0

I would like to bring to the attention of the assembled the following =
two paragraphs dealing with the CC panels...I think I said some things =
about this in late February...about rain being a factor...

=20
The panel also found that NASA had not paid enough attention to everyday =
factors, like aging and exposure to a combination of rain and flaking =
paint from the launching tower, that had weakened the carbon composite =
panels that formed the leading edges of the shuttle's wings.=20

None of these problems would prevent a return to flight, Admiral Gehman =
has said. The board issued its first recommendations on April 17, and =
NASA has begun to respond. The board wants NASA to monitor the =
reinforced carbon-carbon panels on leading wing edges to guard against =
deterioration. NASA has begun looking into new tests for the panels that =
do not require damaging them.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32DA0.F8FC56D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would like to bring to the attention =
of the=20
assembled the following two paragraphs dealing with the CC panels...I =
think I=20
said some things about this in late February...about rain being a=20
factor...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><!--StartFragment -->&nbsp;
<P>The panel also found that NASA had not paid enough attention to =
everyday=20
factors, <STRONG>like aging and exposure to a combination of =
rain</STRONG> and=20
flaking paint from the launching tower, <STRONG>that had weakened the =
carbon=20
composite panels that formed the leading edges of the shuttle's =
wings.</STRONG>=20
</P>
<P>None of these problems would prevent a return to flight, Admiral =
Gehman has=20
said. The board issued its first recommendations on April 17, and NASA =
has begun=20
to respond. <STRONG>The board wants NASA to monitor the reinforced =
carbon-carbon=20
panels on leading wing edges to guard against deterioration.</STRONG> =
NASA has=20
begun looking into new tests for the panels that do not require damaging =
them.=20
</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32DA0.F8FC56D0--