[FPSPACE] NMD and FPSPACE

Palladium@aol.com Palladium@aol.com
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 02:46:02 EST

--part1_51.16fe0544.29695aba_boundary

In a message dated 1/5/2002 7:48:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
routier@tig.com.au writes:

> Yeah, this is getting way off topic.
>
> The fact remains that NMD will not protect the US against unorthodox
> terrorist
> threats like hijacked suicide aircraft, or in extremis, backpack nukes,
> which
> are the only types of major threats it is likely to face in the near future.
>
> DDAY wrote:

However, it would certainly discourage any "rogue regime" that might happen
to get its hands on a couple of missiles and nukes from providing sanctuary
to an Al Quaeda-style group that might carry out such an attack, and thinking
that possessing nukes and missiles would shield them from retaliation.

Also, before 9/11, would you have thought it "likely" that anyone would be
able to simultaneously hijack four airliners and ram them into buildings? If
we've learned anything in the past three months, it's that "likely threat" is
a meaningless term.

DS Michaels

--part1_51.16fe0544.29695aba_boundary