[FPSPACE] Missile defense explained

james oberg joberg@houston.rr.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:46:28 -0600

Well, the school-yard analogy is unconvincing, especially when you call a
'shield' a 'club'.

Like Abe Lincoln once asked in an election debate, testing the common sense
of his opponent: "If I call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?",
to which the opponent replied, "Five, obviously." Lincoln laughed. "No,
four, because calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

Just like calling a 'shield' a 'club' doesn't make it one. It can't hurt
anybody. It can only prevent other people from hurting those it protects.

If we're serious about giving a handful of other nations a guaranteed
nuclear retaliatory capability, so as to make them less fearful of a sneak
US attack, that problem has an easy technological solution too. Allow them
to host nuclear weapons implanted on US territory near high-value targets,
but controlled by them.

We can even request a list of volunteer communities around the US who would
stand as peace hostages. We can let seattle, or Berkeley, or Boston, or
Madison Wisconsin step forward bravely. New york city might not volunteer
this time around.

As to a 'club', we already have one, and most of the world seems relieved
(sometimes only privately) when we wield it.