[FPSPACE] cold war show-down in space

Dwayne Allen Day wayneday@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:38:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, KEITH GOTTSCHALK wrote:

>     So now the latest postings reveal we could have had
> Almaz v. LEM mk.2  battling it out in orbit a quarter of a
> century ago?

There were other proposals dated ca 1963 for Gemini spacecraft with
missiles.  These things never got beyond simple paper studies (in other
words, they did not even become complex paper studies).

>     With Almaz's light ack-ack gun, no doubt a military blue
> LEM mk.2 would have been equipped with Sidewinders. Thank
> goodness all this Buck Rogers / Flash Gordan / Brick
> Bradford nuttery ran out of funds before the first killing
> in space !

I don't think it was so much "running out of funds" as it was differing
opinions within the space communities.  The spooks, who really called the
shots, did not want space to become a battleground.  The Air Force guys
pushing things like MOL and all the white space stuff, wanted weapons, but
were never convincing in their arguments.

DDAY