[FPSPACE] Re: Challenge to Apollo-Waiting for the Book

Anatoly Zak AZak@HQ.SPACE.com
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:33:13 -0400

I had the same experience, the only answer I get from GPO is that the book
is not available and all one can do is to back order it.

Looks like they've alreay managed to make it a rarity.

Anatoly Zak

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Donaldson
To: fpspace@SOLAR.RTD.UTK.EDU; Dennis Newkirk
Sent: 9/9/00 2:04 AM
Subject: Re: [FPSPACE] Re: Challenge to Apollo-Waiting for the Book

Gentlemen,
    I am in agony listening to all of these accolades to Asif. Enough
already. I've ordered the book, I've ordered one for a very close friend
who
experienced some of the space program with me and I have to wait until
the
darn GPO gets their supply of books.....mine are BACK ORDERED for god's
sake.
    I can't take this torture for too much longer.....ahhhhhh.

    cwdonald
[snip]

[snip]
And, I
> think it relates how US space program events influenced Soviet
planning
and
> politics far better that previous books - not just the US did this so
the
> Soviets did that. Well, I could go one telling you about this, but I'd
> rather go back to reading the book...
>
> If you have a healthy interest in the history of spaceflight in
general,
> you should read this book.
    [I would if I could get my darn hands on it.]

> ------------------------
> Dennis Newkirk - rusaerog@mcs.net
> Editor of the Russian Aerospace Guide http://www.mcs.net/~rusaerog
> Author of the Almanac of Soviet Manned Space Flight
>
> -----------
> The book is:
>
> Asif A. Siddiqi, Challenge to Apollo: The Soviet Union and the Space
Race,
> 1945-1974 (Washington, D.C.: NASA SP-2000-4408)
>
> 1,011 pp.
>
> The book is available from:
>
> http://bookstore.gpo.gov/index.html
>
> Please type "Challenge to Apollo" in the search box and all the
necessary
> information should come up.
>
> The book is a complete history of the Soviet piloted/manned space
program
> from 1945 to 1974. It begins with the origins of the Soviet ballistic
> missile program in 1945 and then continues to the suspension of the N1
> project in 1974. It covers programs such as VR-190, the antipodal
bomber,
> early suborbital porgrams, Vostok, Voskhod, TOS, TMK, Raketoplan,
> Kosmoplan, Soyuz (various incarnations), Zond, Spiral, N1-L3, UR-700,
> Aelita, Salyut/DOS, Almaz, and many others.
>
> The book is not simply a technical work - I've tried to include two
aspects
> of Soviet space history that are usually given short-thrift - the
human
> story, and the institutional background. So hopefully those who want
> know what the 7K-OK-T or N1F-V3 is will be as interested in it as
those
who