[FPSPACE] Challenge to Apollo

Joy cliched@earthlink.net
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:04:17 -0400

Hi all:

Some people have asked about the availability of my new book. I just wanted
to make a formal announcement that the book is now finally commercially
available.

The book is:

Asif A. Siddiqi, Challenge to Apollo: The Soviet Union and the Space Race,
1945-1974 (Washington, D.C.: NASA SP-2000-4408)

1,011 pp.

The book is available from:

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/index.html

Please type "Challenge to Apollo" in the search box and all the necessary
information should come up.

The book is a complete history of the Soviet piloted/manned space program
from 1945 to 1974. It begins with the origins of the Soviet ballistic
missile program in 1945 and then continues to the suspension of the N1
project in 1974. It covers programs such as VR-190, the antipodal bomber,
early suborbital porgrams, Vostok, Voskhod, TOS, TMK, Raketoplan,
Kosmoplan, Soyuz (various incarnations), Zond, Spiral, N1-L3, UR-700,
Aelita, Salyut/DOS, Almaz, and many others.

The book is not simply a technical work ­ Išve tried to include two aspects
of Soviet space history that are usually given short-thrift ­ the human
story, and the institutional background. So hopefully those who want to
know what the 7K-OK-T or N1F-V3 is will be as interested in it as those who
simply want to read an interesting story. Išve included a lot of stuff (and
I mean a lot) on both the people who ran the program and also the
institutions which were created to run the program (various Special
Committees, etc.). Hopefully this book will fill a gap in the English
literature on these hitherto unknown aspects of the Soviet space program.

I think NASA will make a formal announcement soon which I'll try and post.

Thanks for interest!

Asif Siddiqi